Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Chicago Week 13

Training is going well, with 13 weeks and change until Chicago. First of all, I believe already that the addition of the barefoot training day is making a difference. Once a week I am doing 5 minutes of jump rope, deep squats, tube walking, skipping drills, and bounding. All barefoot.
Today I did one of my favorite speedwork workouts. I don't love the track work, although I appreciate its efficacy. My favorite speed drills tend to be ones that have some sort of visual component, or some sort of math that I can wrap my head around. I ran 1200 meters, 1000, 800, 600, and 400, all with a 200 meter rest interval (just walking today, although sometimes an easy jog). This plus a 1.5 mile warmup and a half-mile cool down. This workout is easy to get behind, because the intervals get shorter as you go along. I beat my projected time on the first and last, hit it spot on for the second, and was 6-10 seconds too slow on the 3rd and 4th. Consistency is something I'm working on. But, I did it. Sunday I have 17 miles, and I will have to go out early and slowly, since it's supposed to be something like 95 degrees.
Here's another good track workout, one I love because a) it's easy to remember where you are in the workout, b) the pick-ups are all 400-ish meters, and c) it's very challenging, then gets a little forgiving at the end. After a warmup, run the inside loop of the track at a challenging, but improvable pace. Time it. Rest about 90 seconds, then move to lane 2, and meet that same tempo. Repeat for lanes 3, 4, and 5, then work your way back down from 5-1 again. That's 2.5 miles of actual speed (same as the workout I did today), not counting the warmup and cooldown. I think it's a good intro to speed work, if you've never done track work before. Physically challenging without being too much to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment